Guess What I Made?

Monday, 3 October 2011

Before

With encouragement from my #Twitpacha, I successfully baked my first-ever round challah to adorn our holiday table.

~ Menu ~
Round challah
Apples dipped in honey (…for Rosh HaShanah!)
*Chicken Soup with K’neidlach
Brisket
Saffron Rice
Sauted Asperagus
Sparkling Pomegranate Limeade
MamaBear’s, z”l, Apple Cake

* courtesy of Wegmans

~ Guests ~
PC
Frume Sarah (aka The Reluctant Balebusta)
Beernut
Poppyseed
Peach
PepGiraffe
Ace
Bette

~ Shehechiyanu Moment ~
We used our china for the. first. time.

~ Major Discovery ~
We only received four soup bowls for our wedding. Which went unnoticed until Pepgiraffe and I set the table. Oops.

~ Verdict ~
Much to my surprise, I loved preparing the holiday meal. My home smelled warm and inviting, our table was filled with family, and I thought the food was delicious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After

What about your Rosh Hashanah dinner? Did you make the meal or were you guests at someone else’s table? What was on the menu??

1. Monday, 3 October 2011 12:28 pm

So glad you were able to use that legendary china. I bet it’s great being so close to so many of your siblings.
    I hope there’s many more such gatherings!

Wednesday, 5 October 2011 5:36 pm

Keyn y’hi ratzon!!!

It was such a great feeling to use the dishes. And to be with most of my sibs.

2. the writ and the wrote permalink
    Monday, 3 October 2011 12:40 pm

Everything sounds delicious. We had matzah ball soup, which was delicious. My parents are religious at all, so I tend to do this Jewish thing on my own.

Wednesday, 5 October 2011 5:42 pm

It can certainly be a challenge when our religious expression does not match those around us. Glad that your soup made the start to your year warm and delicious.

3. Tuesday, 4 October 2011 3:05 pm

Can I come next year?

Wednesday, 5 October 2011 5:42 pm

Absolument!

4. Tuesday, 4 October 2011 10:08 pm

Mazel tov on your holiday dinner! It sounds like a fabulous menu, and that sparkling pomegranate limeade sounds delish! Happy you enjoyed the saffron rice. The Reluctant Balebusta shouldn’t be so reluctant with a meal like that on the table… ;)

Wednesday, 5 October 2011 5:43 pm

Your support means a lot!!!

It really is a minor miracle that I was able to pull together such a yontiv table given my lack of experience in the domestic arena.

5. julie permalink
    Wednesday, 5 October 2011 7:21 pm

My challah didn’t rise. It got relegated to the trash. But I made a delicious roasted chicken Israeli couscos with sugar snap peas, and roasted asparagus. A lot of food for my ‘lil guy and me, but oh-so-yummy.

6. Monday, 10 October 2011 8:38 pm

The menu sounds amazing and look at that gorgeous challah!!!!!! Color me impressed. I can only imagine how your house smelled delish and chag-esque. Shana tova by the way, my virtual friend. :)

Trackbacks

1. #BlogElul 2 — Inventory of a Different Kind

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 87 other followers