Chag Purim…er, L’Shana Tovah

Monday, 6 September 2010

Social Media gurus have been touting the use of video as a way of drawing in constituents. And the Jewish world has been listening.

Take a look:

But I cannot help thinking that these videos, while very appropriate for, say…Purim, are less effective at communicating the sanctity of the season.

Is Frume Sarah completely missing something here???

******************

Update: NFTY and Songleading wunderkind, Jeremy Gimbel, sent the video he produced for his shul. Frume Sarah heartily approves!

1. Monday, 6 September 2010 6:44 pm

I was wondering what you were thinking about all of this…. 🙂

Monday, 6 September 2010 6:47 pm

No, you weren’t. You know I’m a 230 year old dybbuk trapped inside the body of 39 and a half year old. And you know what I think about most everything.

2. Monday, 6 September 2010 8:09 pm

I enjoy a good laugh (and am not above laughing at myself), however, I really don’t find anything funny about Rosh Hashanah. It was just this past Sunday morning (early Sunday morning) that we sang hauntingly beautiful music and were asked to begin the very serious task of deep, reflective, introspection. I don’t remember doing a lot of laughing during the Selichot service. I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind the videos.

3. Jeremy permalink
    Tuesday, 7 September 2010 2:37 pm

Have you seen the video that Congregation Beth Israel of San Diego did?
    I think it’s more to the spirit of the season.

Tuesday, 7 September 2010 2:42 pm

Jeremy,

Kol HaKavod! You have created a beautiful, meaningful, and seasonally appropriate message. I love it!!! Thanks for sharing it here. I’ll be making a PS to this post and linking to it because it is so in line with what these days are meant to be.

L’shanah Tovah!!!

4. Wednesday, 8 September 2010 7:56 am

Where I live there are many who are unaffiliated and many young Jews searching for a good match. The videos don’t capture the spirit of the holidays, but I don’t think they are for those who know, they are to engage others.

For me, that works.

5. Wednesday, 8 September 2010 9:55 am

@Jeremy – it’s so amazing to see you grown up, and a professional, and married… In my head, you’re still an 8-year-old ShowBIS kid!

Trackbacks

1. Christians would you let your children dress up in costumes and partake in a non-Christian holiday? | dress up girls