Unprepared

Wednesday, 7 September 2011

This has been more difficult than I had anticipated.

The housework.

It is never-ending. Not to mention the fact that this house is three times larger than our old one.

And the fact that was a domestic failure novice throughout the entirety of my adult life.

Looking back on my prior life, it is as if I was just going through the motions of running a household. An occasional home-cooked meal, infrequent bursts of frenzied cleaning, and the like.

But this is a whole different ball of wax.

My waking hours are consumed with laundry, cleaning, meal preparation, marketing, unpacking, and managing the Frummettes. I have cooked more meals in the past four weeks than I have in the rest of my combined years.

What I haven’t done is write. You will have noticed, I am certain, that I have been uncharacteristically quiet the past few weeks. And not because I have nothing to say. Rather, I am just too tired. Too, too tired.

I suppose that I will find a rhythm to all of this. Not to be confused with a schedule. The outline of the schedule is coming together. Linens laundered on Sundays, bathrooms on Thursdays, daily sweeping, challah baking on Friday mornings, and so forth.

A rhythm is something deeper. Less about organization and more about lifeforce.

Meanwhile, school started yesterday and today we are home. Yes, the automated phone call came in the dark hours of the morning. Flooding as a result of ongoing rains onto heavily-saturated soil.

Which completely messed up today’s schedule.

1. Wednesday, 7 September 2011 2:23 pm

I bet you’re tired! The problem with housework is that it’s only finished for a short while before it’s needed again-think Golden Gate bridge painting.

Wednesday, 7 September 2011 9:26 pm

Seriously, I had a similar thought just before reading this.

So demoralizing…

2. Dawn permalink
    Wednesday, 7 September 2011 4:00 pm

hang in there!!! I find it very helpful to make up a “domestic schedule”, so that I don’t feel compelled to take it all on in one day. I am anxiously awaiting our move to California. We are going from a nearly 4,000 sq. foot house with three floors to a very humble 1300 sq foot house with one floor. Yippeee! Good luck!!!

Wednesday, 7 September 2011 9:28 pm

And we had the opposite. One storey of 1881 sq ft to a three storey of nearly 5,000 (including the finished basement). It’s just nuts!!!

3. Wednesday, 7 September 2011 4:36 pm

Although my household is much smaller than yours, here are a few of my cleaning guidelines:
    1. Don’t dust until you can see the dust.
    2. Don’t clean the bathroom until you can see a ring in the toilet.
    3. If the dirt’s not bothering anyone, don’t bother with it.

Hope a workable rhythm evolves for all of you soon!

Wednesday, 7 September 2011 9:30 pm

Me too!!!

As for the dirt…if I don’t deal with some of it on a daily basis, it becomes overwhelming. This house is HUGE and the kids are really messy.

Hope you are up to a visit soon!!!

4. Wednesday, 7 September 2011 4:53 pm

You will get into a rhythm. Give yourself some time (and be easy on yourself in the process), until you figure out what works for you. Once you know what works, even a schedule mess up won’t completely wreck you. Also, give *yourself* time to adjust to the different rhythms of the region you’re living in now.

Ok, I live in a one-person household, plus two pets, but when I moved to HB, I moved into a home bigger than any one I’d lived in before. I’ve always hated cleaning, but I’ve figured out if I do it weekly, it’s a much easier job than if I wait until things show. Every Friday morning, north to south, east to west, is the perfect rhythm for me!

Wednesday, 7 September 2011 9:31 pm

I am intrigued with your directional-routine. Is there some deeper meaning??

And thanks for the other advice too 🙂

• Wednesday, 7 September 2011 11:02 pm

I know, odd, isn’t it? But my place is laid out like a rectangle in the way you get from one room to another. I’m kind of hooked into those four directions anyway and one day I realized that’s how I clean the house!

And you’re welcome:) Having spent those years in Chicago, I had to learn so many new things. My first winter? I had to break down and ask a neighbor to take me winter clothes shopping. How was I to know Reeboks and warm socks would not do as winter footwear?

Trackbacks